town hall
Procedure descriptions

Apply for a settlement permit for highly qualified persons

Scientists, academics, teachers or academic staff may be granted a permanent settlement permit following their visa. Certain requirements must be met for this.

Responsible department

  • for the issue of a national visa before entering the federal territory: the German mission abroad (embassy, consulate)
  • after entry: the immigration authority
    The immigration authority is
    • if you live in an urban district or a large district town: the municipal administration
    • if you live in a town or municipality belonging to a district: the district administration office



  • You fulfil the passport and visa requirements.
    To fulfil the passport requirement, it is sufficient if you have a replacement identity document.
  • Your livelihood is secured without you having to make use of public funds.
    Your livelihood is considered secure if you
    • Income in the amount of the basic social assistance rate plus
    • Costs for accommodation and heating and
    • any health insurance contributions.
  • There is no interest in deporting you.
  • Your stay does not jeopardise or impair the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
  • You belong to the following groups of people:
    • Academics with specialised knowledge and several years of professional experience
    • Teachers or academic staff in a prominent position with several years of professional experience
  • Their integration into the living conditions of the Federal Republic of Germany is assured.


Before travelling to Germany, you must apply for a national visa in your home country.

After entering the country, you must apply for a settlement permit in writing to the immigration authority before your visa expires.



Required documents


  • fulfilment of passport and visa requirements
  • a secure livelihood and that your integration into the living conditions of the Federal Republic of Germany is assured (usually by submitting a job offer)
  • professional or academic qualifications


EUR 147,00


You will receive a settlement permit in the form of a cheque card with additional electronic functions.

Nationals of European Union (EU) member states have access to the German labour market due to their right to freedom of movement.
They can be self-employed in Germany within the scope of their right of establishment. The same applies to other nationals of the European Economic Area (EEA) and Swiss nationals.

If you do not fulfil the academic or professional requirements, you may be able to obtain the following residence permits:

You must clarify the choice of residence title during the visa procedure.

Your husband or wife or your partner and your children under the age of 18 are entitled to family reunification.
They are also permitted to pursue gainful employment.

Legal basis

Aufenthaltsgesetz (AufenthG)

  • § 5 Allgemeine Erteilungsvoraussetzungen
  • § 18c Niederlassungserlaubnis für Fachkräfte

Aufenthaltsverordnung (AufenthV)

  • § 44 Gebühren für die Niederlassungserlaubnis

Release note

25.01.2024 Justizministerium Baden-Württemberg

Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.


Bürger- und Standesamt (Bürgeramt)
Grabenstraße 15
89522 Heidenheim an der Brenz
Fax (0 73 21) 3 23-33 32