town hall

Life situations

Settlement permit

The settlement permit is a permanent residence title and entitles the holder to pursue an occupation (employment and self-employed activity). Generally speaking, if you are initially granted a temporary residence permit, you may also be issued with a permanent settlement permit after a certain period of time. The settlement permit is a residence title which signifies a legal safeguarding of residence.

Note: Holders of a (temporary) residence permit for study or educational purposes (vocational training) are not entitled to a settlement permit.

The permanent residence permit and right of unlimited residence issued under the previous Foreigners Act remain valid as a settlement permit in accordance with the purpose of residence and the facts and circumstances on which they were issued.

Release note

The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Justizministerium released it on 08.03.2023. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.


Bürger- und Standesamt (Bürgeramt)
Grabenstraße 15
89522 Heidenheim an der Brenz
Fax (0 73 21) 3 23-33 32