town hall
Procedure descriptions

Academic degrees, titles and professional titles from foreign educational institutions

Do you have an academic degree from a foreign educational institution, e.g. licencjat, inzener, kandidat-nauk, that you would like to use in Germany?

Should this have been regularly awarded by a recognised university, then subject to certain requirements, you do not require a permit. In this instance, you must use the form in which the degree was awarded and specify the institute of higher education that awarded it. If your degree does not comprise Latin characters, you may transliterate it into Latin script (transliteration). You can also add the literal German translation in parentheses. You can also claim the foreign title in shortened form (with note specifying the origin), should this also be permitted or usual in the country of origin.

You do not need to stipulate the institute of higher education that awarded the degree if you acquired the degree

  • within the European Union (EU)
  • within the European Economic Area (EEA)
  • from the European University Institute in Florence
  • from the Pontifical Universities

However, you must take note of the equivalence agreements concluded with other countries and the resolution passed by the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs on 26 June 2014 concerning the use of foreign academic degrees. The equivalence agreements and the resolution passed by the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs contain special regulations that work in your favour. This applies in particular to certain PhD grades from Russia, Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada and the USA.

You are not permitted to convert or transcribe the foreign degree into the corresponding German degree. Exceptions (approvals) are possible in case of degrees acquired by late repatriates, their spouses and descendants subject to certain requirements.

Responsible department

the Ministerium für Wissenschaft, Forschung und Kunst

Note: With regard to foreign degrees, the Wissenschaftsministerium is concerned solely with issues relating to the use of degrees (exception: degrees acquired by persons who fall under the Federal Law on Refugees and Exiles (Bundesvertriebenengesetz)). The Wissenschaftsministerium does not perform assessments, comparisons or classifications with corresponding German degrees or diplomas.



  • Degree from a recognised university abroad.
  • use of the degree in Baden-Württemberg


You do not require state approval or permission for the use of foreign degrees, titles or job titles.

However, you may require written information about the use of your degree and the applicable legal basis, e.g. for submission to

  • residents' office and city offices
  • professional chambers and
  • professional associations

In such a case, please submit an informal application to the Ministry of Science and submit the necessary documents.

Required documents

  • Officially certified copy of the original foreign diploma or degree certificate
  • officially certified copy of the translation of the foreign diploma or degree certificate
  • copy of passport or personal ID card
  • if you have changed your name: appropriate evidence such as a copy of your marriage certificate, a declaration of the name change
  • CV in table form



Detailed information

Release note

The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Wissenschaftsministerium released it on 06.12.2018. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.


Bürger- und Standesamt (Bürgeramt)
Grabenstraße 15
89522 Heidenheim an der Brenz
Fax (0 73 21) 3 23-33 32