town hall
Procedure descriptions

Academic degrees, titles and designations for recognised ethnic German immigrants - apply for degree conversions

The following applies to university degrees that you have obtained at a recognised university abroad:

You may use the degree awarded, such as "inzener-mechanik" or "ekonomist", without permission in the form in which you obtained it. However, in the case of degrees obtained outside the European Union, you must add the university at which you obtained the degree.

In doing so, you may present the academic degree in the following forms:

  • transcribed in Latin script
  • use the abbreviation permitted or customary in the country of origin
  • add a literal German translation in brackets.

If you are recognised as a Spätaussiedler (ethnic German immigrant), you can apply for a conversion to the German degree that corresponds to your foreign degree. As a rule , this also applies to your spouse and your children and their descendants.

If the foreign degree is equivalent to the German degree, this conversion will take place.

Responsible department

Ministry of Science Baden-Württemberg



  • Degree obtained prior to entry at a recognised higher education institution in the resettlement area
  • Equivalence of the academic degree with a German academic degree
  • Main residence in Baden-Württemberg


You must submit an informal application. You must submit this to the competent office together with the required documents.

If you meet the legal requirements, the competent authority will the if you meet the legal requirements, the competent office will convert your foreign degree into an equivalent German degree and send you an official letter (notification). The possibility of a degree conversion only exists for persons entitled under the Federal Expellees Act.



Required documents

  • officially certified copy
    • the original diploma with annex
    • the translation of the diploma with annex
    • the Spätaussiedler certificate or the ID card for displaced persons
    • if applicable: the certificate of a change of name
  • Copy of identity card
  • Curriculum vitae





Release note

  • 06.02.2023 Wissenschaftsministerium Baden-Württemberg

The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Wissenschaftsministerium released it on 06.02.2023. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly. 


Bürger- und Standesamt (Bürgeramt)
Grabenstraße 15
89522 Heidenheim an der Brenz
Fax (0 73 21) 3 23-33 32