Import and export of protected plant and animal species Permit
The permit requirement covers live and dead animals and plants as well as parts or products with components thereof.
You can also apply for the following CITES special permits:
- Certificate for musical instruments,
- Certificate for travelling exhibitions,
- Sample collection certificate, and
- Travel certificate for pets of protected species
you must present the permit issued to the customs office of import or export for customs clearance under species protection law.
You also need the permit if you want to re-export or re-import the specimen.
The specific requirements for the permit depend on the degree of protection of the species you wish to import or export and the type of application.
- positive opinion of the scientific authority (not required for re-export certificate application)
- When applying for an import permit, a copy of the export document of the exporting state
You can apply for a permit to import, export or re-export in writing or electronically.
If you apply for the permit in writing:
Download the application form and the follow-up form
- Complete it and send it to the Federal Agency for Nature Conservation together with the supporting documents required for the type of application.
- If all requirements for the permit are met, it will be sent to you by post.
- If your application has been rejected, you will receive a notice of rejection by post, for which a charge will be made.
If you apply for the permit electronically:
- go to www.cites-online.de and follow the instructions
- there you will also find various additional services, e.g.
- the sending of supporting documents together with the electronic application,
- the choice of payment method, and
- local storage of the submitted application on your PC for later processing or use as a template for new applications.
- If all requirements for approval are met, the approval will be sent to you by post.
- If your application is rejected, you will receive a fee-based rejection notice by post.
- Use of permits for import, export or re-export: no later than the last day of validity of the documents
- Appeal against a refusal decision within one month of notification
- Application form and, if applicable, follow-up form for more than one species
- Supporting documents for the application for an import permit for live specimens
- Supporting documents for import permit applications for products or parts of plants or animals and for dead specimens
- Supporting documents for the application for an export permit or re-export certificate for live specimens
- Supporting documents for the application for an export permit or re-export certificate for products or parts of plants or animals and for dead specimens
- Approval: EUR 15.00 to EUR 60.00
- Note: In special cases, a fee waiver may be granted.
Approval: maximum 1 month
Note: The processing time may be extended if additional information from authorities of the country of origin or export or technical opinions from experts are required.
27.09.2021 Bundesministerium für Umwelt, Naturschutz und nukleare Sicherheit