Health insurance for freelancers
Employees are compulsory insured in the statutory health insurance. Self-employed persons, on the other hand, do not generally belong to those persons who are compulsory insured.
- agriculturists have to be insured with the agricultural health insurance (Landwirtschaftliche Krankenversicherung)
- self-employed artists and publicists have to be insured with the artist’s social welfare insurance (Künstlersozialversicherung).
For all other self-employed persons, voluntary insurance in the statutory health insurance is possible under certain circumstances. Self-employed persons, who would not like to be insured on a voluntary basis or do not meet the requirements for voluntary insurance, can be privately insured.
In addition, there is also the possibility to combine statutory insurance cover with private cover: If the benefits of the statutory health insurance are not adequate, you can conclude supplementary private insurance.
- for insurance on a voluntary basis in the statutory health insurance: the statutory health insurance fund, where you were last insured
- for insurance in the private health insurance: every company offering private health insurance
Voluntary insurance in the statutory health insurance is possible if you
- were insured in the statutory health insurance before starting your self-employment,
- were insured for at least 24 months in the last five years before leaving the company or for twelve months directly before leaving the company and you applied for voluntary membership within three months after termination of the previous insurance.
If you would like to insure yourself on a voluntary basis in the statutory health insurance, please ask your health insurance company for advice. You will receive the application forms there. Many health insurance companies also offer them on their website as a download.
To become a member in the private health insurance, you can first of all get the health insurance company of your choice to send you a quote. Speak personally with your service provider or contact him/her in writing. In most cases it is also possible to request a quote online.
You have to report admission to a statutory health insurance of your choice within three months after terminating the previous insurance. Voluntary membership always starts immediately afterwards. It is not possible to join at a later date.
The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Sozialministerium released it on 03.01.2017. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.