town hall
Procedure descriptions

Applying for a green sign

Green signs are signs with green writing on a white background. They are intended for certain vehicles which are exempted from vehicle excise duty for example:

  • Vehicles of charitable organisations
  • Agricultural or forestry vehicles
  • Certain trailers

Responsible department

the registration authorities (Zulassungsbehörde), which are responsible for the principle residence of the owner (otherwise: company premises or location of the relevant subsidiary)

The registration authorities are

  • for an urban district (Stadtkreis): the city council (Stadtverwaltung)
  • for a rural district (Landkreis): the rural district office (Landratsamt)



Your vehicle is exempt from the vehicle tax.


You or your representative must apply for the green sign at the competent authority.

Depending on what is offered by your licensing authority, a form for downloading or an online service via the Internet are available.

The licensing authority may request that you show the vehicle.

The licensing authority will issue your vehicle with a licence plat and attach the stickers (main inspection and stamp) to it.

Tip: Should you require registration plates, you can contact private providers, which you can usually find close to the licensing authorities.

Required documents

  • Valid personal identity document or passport
  • Additionally in case of representation:
    • Written power of attorney
    • Valid personal identity document or passport of the representative
  • Additionally in case of minors:
  • Declaration of consent and identity documents of the guardians
  • For legal entities/companies:
  • Proof of tax exemption
  • Proof of power of disposition of the keeper to be registered. This is:
    • In case of first registration with EC type approval
      • registration certificate part II and
      • certificate of conformity (COC)
    • In case of first registration with national type approval, this is:
      • registration certificate part II with registered type and variant/version key number in accordance with § 20 Paragraph 3 Sentence 6 of the German Road Traffic Licensing Regulations (StVZO) or
      • data confirmation in accordance with § 20 Paragraph 3.a Sentence 1 (StVZO).
    • Additionally in case of vehicles with EU type approval (EU certificate of conformity /COC), national type approval (general operating permit/ABE), individual approval or an expert report in accordance with § 21 StVZO for which no registration certificate part II exists so far or for which an old registration document was filled in:
      • Sales contract or original invoice
      • In case of importation from a country outside of the EU: the customs receipt / customs clearance certificate
  • Confirmation of insurance (eVB code)
  • Proof of reservation should you have applied for a vanity plate.

Note: The confirmation of insurance concerning the third party liability policy can be obtained from the insurance company of your choice. You can usually request this by telephone. The licensing authorities will automatically inform your insurance company.


The fees charged are based on the administrative costs (from 26,80 euros).

The fees do not include the costs for the licence plates.


Informationen zur Steuerbefreiung für Fahrzeuge, die zu land- und forstwirtschaftlichen Zwecken genutzt werden, finden Sie auch auf den Internetseiten der Bundeszollverwaltung.

Release note

The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Verkehrsministerium released it on 16.08.2021. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.


Bürger- und Standesamt (Bürgeramt)
Grabenstraße 15
89522 Heidenheim an der Brenz
Fax (0 73 21) 3 23-33 32