town hall
Procedure descriptions

Product-specific insurance brokers - Applying for a permit exemption

Insurance brokers in the area of product accessories can be exempted from the permit obligation on request.

The application can be made from a natural person or a legal entity (e.g. a Limited Liability Company). Partnerships require an individual license exemption for each managing partner.

N.B. Even if you are exempt from your license obligation you will still have to register yourself and be registered in the Register of Brokers.

Responsible department

The chamber of industry and commerce in whose area your business is located.



  • You act as an agent for insurances only as an extension to other products or services. For example: You sell vehicles and at the same time you act as an agent for motor insurances.
  • You carry out your work on behalf of one or several insurance broker(s) with a license or on behalf of one or several insurance companies.
  • Your client issues a statement on your personal reliability, your qualifications and your orderly financial circumstances.


To be exempt from the license obligation, you have to make an application to the responsible authority.

You can find a form on the Internet pages of the chambers of industry and commerce.



Note: You may not start work until you have received the exemption.

Required documents

  • completed application form
  • copy of the identity card or comparable identity documents
  • for proof of the corporate legal form
    • If the location of your company is in Germany, you will need:
      • for registered companies: an excerpt of the Commercial Register (Handelsregisterauszug) and the register of partnerships
      • if applicable a copy of the shareholders agreement (e.g. for a company constituted under civil law, (GbR)).
    • If your company is located abroad, you will need documents from the country where it is located which prove its legal form.
  • declaration from the client on your personal reliability, your qualification and your orderly financial circumstances

In the case of legal entities (GmbH, corporate companies (limited liability), AG, registered cooperatives) the application form only has to be completed by the legal entity itself. All personal documents have to be submitted for all natural persons authorised to manage the company (e.g. personal documents). For the legal person, you also require an extract from the Central Trade Register.

In the case of partnerships, which as such are not capable of holding a licence (GbR, KG, OHG, PartG, GmbH & Co. KG), each of the managing partners requires the licence. I.e. an application form and all personal documents are required for each person.


The relevant IHK will inform you of the amount of respective charges.

Processing time

Two to ten days, depending on the completeness of the documents.

Release note

The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Wirtschaftsministerium released it on 30.04.2019. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.


Bürger- und Standesamt (Bürgeramt)
Grabenstraße 15
89522 Heidenheim an der Brenz
Fax (0 73 21) 3 23-33 32