town hall
Procedure descriptions

Apply for basic income support in old age and in the event of reduced earning capacity

You can receive basic income support if you are over 18 years of age and are permanently fully incapacitated for work or have reached the age limit relevant for the start of your pension. Another condition is that your own income and assets or those of your spouse or partner are not sufficient.

Note: If your annual income is less than 100,000 euros, your children or parents do not have to pay maintenance.

Basic income support includes

  • the valid social assistance standard rate,
  • the actual expenses for accommodation and heating, as far as they are reasonable.
  • Additional needs
    • in case of possession of a severely disabled person's identity card with the mark G and
    • in case of illness, if a nutrition-related additional need arises, e.g. in case of coeliac disease or cystic fibrosis,
    • in the case of decentralised hot water production
  • one-off needs in special situations (e.g. initial furnishing of a flat), purchase and repair of orthopaedic shoes
  • Contributions to health and long-term care insurance.

Note: You can also receive basic benefits in the case of inpatient accommodation, for example in a care facility.

Responsible department

  • if you live in a city district: the city council
  • if you live in a district: the district administration office (Landratsamt)

Note: In some cases, the administrative districts have transferred responsibility to larger cities in their district area. If you live in a rural district, the Landratsamt (district administration office) can name the competent authority in any case.



  • Your income or that of your spouse or partner is below the statutory basic income support requirement
  • no realisable assets

Certain assets are considered to be exempt assets that do not have to be taken into account. These include, for example, small amounts of cash or an appropriate piece of real estate that you live in yourselfwhich you live in yourself.


You must apply for basic security benefits by sending an informal letter or in person to the competent office. They will give you or send you the form "Application for basic income support benefits". You can either hand in the completed application form in person or send it by post.

If you do not receive a pension for permanent and full reduction in earning capacity and are not employed in a sheltered workshop, the competent office will arrange for the pension insurance institution to determine your permanent and full reduction in earning capacity.

If the legal requirements are met, you will receive a notice of approval, which is usually limited to 12 months. The money is transferred to your account at the beginning of the month.



Required documents

  • Identity card
  • Proof of permanent and full reduction in earning capacity (e.g. pension certificate, employment in a sheltered workshop)
  • Proof of income - also of the spouse or partner (e.g. pension statement, child benefit, alimony payments, possibly employment income of the partner, unemployment benefit statement or other social benefits)
  • Evidence of existing assets (e.g. savings, life insurance)
  • Proof of expenses (e.g. tenancy agreement, rent receipts, heating costs, documents on insurance contributions)
  • if available: Divorce decree, maintenance order





Release note

  • 28.08.2023 Sozialministerium Baden-Württemberg


Bürger- und Standesamt (Bürgeramt)
Grabenstraße 15
89522 Heidenheim an der Brenz
Fax (0 73 21) 3 23-33 32