Requesting information from the Central Driver's License Register
The Central Driving Licence Register records all driving licences issued since 01 January 1999 with the uniform European driving licence categories A to E.
The Central Driving Licence Register stores
- driving licences issued in Germany in accordance with the uniform European categories A to E and the national German categories M, L, S and T (until 19 January 2013) and L and T (from 19 January 2013)
- for novice drivers additionally the probationary period
- Driving licences for the carriage of passengers
- official driving permits for the police, federal police and federal armed forces
- Driving instructor licences and official driving instructor licences of driving instructors
- Authorisations of motor vehicle experts, examiners and test engineers.
The driving licence authority reports the data to the Federal Motor Transport Authority (KBA) after the driving licence has been issued. The data relevant to the driving licence is stored in the Central Driving Licence Register (personal data, driving licence classes, conditions, restrictions and so on), but not the address.
You can obtain information from the Central Driver's Licence Register online using the online register information service. Alternatively, you can receive the information by post.
You can obtain the information without any further requirements.
You can obtain information from the Central Driver's Licence Register via the online register information on the website of the Federal Motor Transport Authority (KBA):
- Select the information from the Central Driver's License Register.
- For online register enquiries, you need the online ID function of your identity card or electronic residence permit for authentication.
- Complete the data stored in the identity document.
- Enter your title, if it is not already listed, and the desired language (German and/or English) of the information.
- You can now download the information directly as a PDF document.
- In some cases no clear identification can be achieved, these cases will be processed manually. In these cases, please indicate your preferred return channel.
- You will receive your information via the return channel you have selected.
Alternatively, you can receive the information by mail:
- Download the form "Antrag auf Auskunft aus dem Zentralen Fahrerlaubnisregister (ZFER)" from the KBA website.
- Fill out the form and add the required documents.
- Then send the form to the KBA.
- After the KBA has processed it, you will receive the result by post.
You do not have to observe any deadlines.
Request for information by mail:
- copy of your identity card (front and back) or passport
- alternatively: officially certified signature
The information is free of charge.
As a rule, you will receive the online register information immediately.
For information by post, the processing time is 3 to 4 days after receipt at the KBA.
Online register information can only be generated if the data in the Central Driver's License Register and the available personal data are identical. Otherwise, manual post-processing and provision of information takes place via the selected return channel.
Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure