town hall
Procedure descriptions

Registering employees for social insurance

Should you employ staff, you must register them for social security at the beginning of the employment relationship. The registration is comprised of:

  • health insurance,
  • nursing care insurance,
  • pension insurance and
  • unemployment insurance.

Note: The statutory health insurance funds (collection agencies) collect the full social security contribution and forward the individual amounts on to the competent bodies. In the case of small scale employment, the Federal Miners' Insurance Institution (Bundesknappschaft) is the collecting body as the institute administering the pension insurance.

Above all, you must register employees who are insured via the statutory health insurance, nursing care insurance, pension insurance or in accordance with the law of employment promotion. However, you must also register employees who are exempt from insurance due to small scale employment. For example, this includes short term employees who work for you for a maximum of three months or 70 working days per year.

Responsible department

  • the statutory health insurance fund of the employee or
  • the Bundesknappschaft



You must forward the social security notifications and proof of contribution of your employees online or email. You are obliged to carry out the notifications with computerised wage and salary calculation programs or with approved form completion.

Note: An overview of the approved programs GKV-AG can be found on the Internet page of the Informationstechnische Servicestelle der gesetzlichen Krankenversicherung (ITSG).

You can find more information about this and about how the data exchange works on the websites of ITSG and datenaustausch (in German).

You must submit the following data:

  • Insurance number which is issued by the pension insurance provider. Employees who do not yet have a social security number will receive this automatically from the health insurance company following the first social security registration.
  • Personal details of the employee, such as name and address
  • Reason for the notification (for example registration due to commencement of employment or periods of employment).
  • Company registration number of the employer.
    This can be obtained from the Federal Employment Centre (Agentur für Arbeit).
  • Details concerning
    • Contribution groups
    • Type of employment
    • Nationality

Note: Please keep in mind that you deduct the employee contribution towards social security from the gross salary and forward it on with your employer contribution to the competent collecting agency.



for the notification of the commencement of an employment relationship:

  • Within six weeks of taking up employment
  • Immediately, however at the latest on taking up of employment in case of persons whom you are employing in the following economic sectors:
    • Construction industry
    • Restaurant and accommodation sector
    • Passenger transportation industry
    • Delivery, transportation and associated logistics sector
    • Carny industry
    • Forestry companies
    • Cleaning of buildings industry
    • Companies which are involved in the construction and dismantling of trade fairs and exhibitions
    • Meat sector
  • For complete notification: within six weeks of taking up employment.

Required documents




Release note

The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Wirtschaftsministerium released it on 29.10.2015. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.


Bürger- und Standesamt (Bürgeramt)
Grabenstraße 15
89522 Heidenheim an der Brenz
Fax (0 73 21) 3 23-33 32