town hall
Procedure descriptions

Applying for registration in the Register of Brokers

The Chambers of Commerce and Industry keep a Register of Brokers. Independent, tied and product selling insurance brokers, insurance advisers and employees who hold management roles with responsibility for brokerage or advice must register.

The register contains the following data:

  • for natural persons: surname, first name, date of birth and company name   
  • for legal entities: surnames and forenames of the natural persons in the company’s management organs who are responsible for brokerage activities  
  • type of permit   
  • address of the competent registration authority   
  • in which EU countries and contracting states the applicant will be working   
  • addresses of any foreign branches   
  • business address   
  • register number   
  • for tied and ancillary insurance brokers: the liable insurance company

This enables consumers and insurance companies to check who is registered as an insurance broker where and to what extent.

N.B. Anyone who violates the registration requirement may be penalised with a fine of up to 5,000 euros.

Tip: You can view the Register of Brokers free of charge at Written queries are subject to a fee.

Responsible department

The Chamber of Commerce and Industry in whose district your business is located



In order to be entered into the Register of Brokers, you must either

  • Hold an insurance broker’s licence or
  • be exempted from the licence obligation.

Note: Tied insurance brokers can also have the contracting insurance company apply to have them registered. The data of the employees who hold management roles with responsibility for brokerage or advice are entered in the register by the holder of the licence.


You must apply to the competent authority for registration.

Tied insurance brokers who do not apply for their own licence do not need to have themselves entered into the Register of Brokers. You must have your insurance company register you instead. In this case, the insurance company can register you online by contacting the German Insurance Association (GDV).

On being entered into the Register of Brokers, you will receive a registration number that is awarded automatically by the system.

N.B. If your data changes after registration, you must notify the competent Chamber of Commerce and Industry immediately.

Required documents

  • completed application form
  • for tied and non-tied insurance brokers and insurance advisers: evidence that you have been issued a licence
  • for ancillary insurance brokers: evidence that you are exempt from the licence obligation
  • business registration
  • If you also want to work in other European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EEA) member states, you will also need the form
    • “Notice of activity in an EU member state”



approx. 50.00 EUR

Processing time

You will normally be registered within five working days.

Release note

The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Wirtschaftsministerium released it on 30.04.2019. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.


Bürger- und Standesamt (Bürgeramt)
Grabenstraße 15
89522 Heidenheim an der Brenz
Fax (0 73 21) 3 23-33 32