town hall
Procedure descriptions

Applying for evaluation of a foreign higher education qualification

Should you have obtained a university qualification abroad, you can have your university qualification assessed in relation to the carrying out of a non-regulated profession. The evaluation

  • describes your foreign higher education qualification,
  • establishes which German qualification your higher education qualification is equivalent to, and
  • certifies how it can be used for professional and academic purposes.

This should make it easier for you to join the German employment market.

The evaluation of your qualification does not give you any legal rights.

N.B. This evaluation does not constitute any form of recognition; it is merely a comparison. 

Binding recognition is necessary if you

  • have a residence in Germany and
  • wish to practise a regulated profession.



Your higher education qualification must satisfy the following requirements if you wish to have it evaluated:

  • Your final certificates must be officially certified.
  • You must have acquired your qualification at an institute that is recognised as an institute of higher education as per the decisive criteria of the country of origin.
  • In the case of qualifications acquired as part of a cross-border cooperation or a collaboration between several institutes of higher education (so-called “franchising”), all the institutes involved must be recognised and/or accredited as institutes of higher education as per the law of the country of origin. The quality of the qualification must satisfy the requirements of all the countries involved and be compatible with the regulations governing institutes of higher education in these countries.
  • In the case of qualifications from countries in which course accreditation is prescribed, the course completed must be an accredited one.


Use the form from the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB) to apply for the evaluation. This will be sent to you by e-mail after you have completed and sent a web form online.

As the subsequent procedure may vary depending on your country of origin, please consult the Central Office for Foreign Education website beforehand for more detailed information.

The qualification assessment which you can attach to your application documents can be obtained as a short version and as a long version, once

  • the competent authority has received your completed application form
  • with all the documents required, and
  • you have paid the fees.

Required documents

You will find a list of documents required on the competent authority’s website.


  • for issuing the certificate: EUR 200.00
  • for each additional certificate if you have more than one qualification: EUR 100.00
  • for issuing additional certificates (e.g. in the event of loss) EUR 100.00

Processing time

Usually three months after receiving the complete application and fee

Release note

The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Wissenschaftsministerium released it on 15.05.2020. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.


Bürger- und Standesamt (Bürgeramt)
Grabenstraße 15
89522 Heidenheim an der Brenz
Fax (0 73 21) 3 23-33 32