town hall
Procedure descriptions

Apply for a licence to practise medicine

You need a licence to practise medicine or a temporary professional permit if you wish to work in Germany as a

  • A doctor,
  • Dentist,
  • Pharmacist,
  • Psychological psychotherapist or child and youth psychotherapist or
  • Child and youth psychotherapist or child and youth psychotherapist, or
  • Psychotherapist.

Responsible department

the Stuttgart Regional Council



  • You have completed a German medical training.
  • You are worthy of the desired profession, reliable and suitable in terms of health.


Make the application for the licence to practise in writing. You can download the respective application form from the internet.

You will receive the certificate by post.


Four weeks before the date of the oral examination

Attention: Certain required documents must then not be older than 1 month!

Required documents

  • Officially certified copy of the identity card or passport
  • Birth certificate, if this has not already been submitted as part of the medical examination. If your name has changed, a civil record of the name change (e.g. excerpt from the family register, marriage certificate) showing the now valid name is required (also in a copy certified by the mayor's office or, in exceptional cases, the original).
  • Curriculum vitae in tabular form with details of educational and professional background
  • Personal declaration with date and signature that no judicial criminal proceedings or public prosecutor's preliminary proceedings were or are pending against you.
  • A current medical certificate stating that you are "not unfit in health to practise (as a doctor)";
    must be dated, stamped and signed
  • If you are not applying for a licence to practise medicine in direct connection with the medical examination, a copy of the certificate of the medical examination
  • Certificate of good conduct of "Belegart OB"
    Please state the following as the purpose of use: "Approbation as a doctor" and "Regierungspräsidium Stuttgart, Referat 95" as the recipient.
  • For stays abroad from the age of majority (longer than one year), a police clearance certificate from abroad must be submitted (original with official translation; not older than three months).


EUR 250.00

Processing time

approximately two to four weeks upon receipt of the complete application and all required documents.



Release note

04.09.2023; Sozialministerium Baden-Württemberg


Bürger- und Standesamt (Bürgeramt)
Grabenstraße 15
89522 Heidenheim an der Brenz
Fax (0 73 21) 3 23-33 32