town hall
Procedure descriptions

Application for Admission of foreign Applicants (non EU)

Foreign citizens with a German higher education admission authorisation (foreign students treated as Germans for educational purposes) and citizens of the European Union Member States and also states party to the agreement on the European Economic Area, (EEA) which do not belong to the EU (Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) with a foreign higher education admission authorisation, have to apply for a course of studies in accordance with the requirements valid for Germans.

All other foreign applicants make their application for admission directly to the institution for higher education at which they are to study subsequently - this applies to all courses of study.

Note: Here you will find information on the Accreditation of the Higher Education Admissions Authorisation (foreign school-leaving Certificates).



  • educational background corresponding to the German higher education entrance qualification (by supporting documents or assessment test)
  • language proficiency
  • fulfilment of requirements related to higher education


Application for a place of study has to be in writing (often also online). You have to apply for the "Antrag auf Zulassung zum ersten Fachsemester" and also request the application documents from the relevant institution of higher education. You will also find the corresponding forms on the website of the relevant institution of higher education. You have to transmit the application and other requested documents to the relevant department of the institution of higher education, which will decide about admission and inform you.

The notification of admission has details about the deadlines for registration (enrolment) at the institution of higher education.

The notification of rejection contains details on the waiting list procedure.


The application deadlines for most of the courses of study at universities, teacher training colleges and state universities of applied sciences are:

  • for the coming winter semester: 15th July
  • for the coming summer semester: 15th January

Please note: Please ask again in advance at the relevant institution of higher education for the application deadlines – in particular for occupation integrated master degrees – there could be different dates. In addition, there also other dates which have to be complied with alongside the application deadlines. They include, amongst other things, the application deadlines for the Institute for International Students at the University of Applied Sciences in Konstanz and the State Academy of Fine Arts to determine the admission authorisation (Feststellung der Zugangsberechtigung) or even dates for qualifying or screening examinations for subjects such as e.g. music or sport. Therefore, inquire in good time at the Foreign Student Office of the institution of higher education at which you would like to study and get their advice.

Required documents

  • Higher education entrance qualification, which permits admission to higher education in the country of origin (e.g. Matura, Baccalaureat, School-Leaving-Certificate, General-Certificate of Education GCE), including the relevant list with the individual grades
  • Certificates from institutions of higher education or universities (also from colleges, academies) including the relevant list with the individual grades
  • Certificate for the passed assessment test including a summary of the grades (if it has already been taken)
  • Confirmations or certificates (including list of grades) for the higher education entrance examinations passed abroad and - if available - confirmation of enrolment - or confirmation of student status
  • Proof of language proficiency in German, if the application is not exclusively for an English course of study
  • Information on your education and career to date with a complete overview of your previous education in table form

Note: The respective institution of higher education will inform you if you have to present other documents.

Release note

The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Ministerium für Wissenschaft, Forschung und Kunst released it on 27.06.2012. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.


Bürger- und Standesamt (Bürgeramt)
Grabenstraße 15
89522 Heidenheim an der Brenz
Fax (0 73 21) 3 23-33 32