town hall
Procedure descriptions

License for security services

You may only work as a contractor in the security industry (for example protection of buildings or persons) with a permit. Activities which are intended to protect the life, freedom, property or objects of other persons against third party attacks, such as:

  • normal cycle, vehicle and building monitoring
  • events services
  • airport controls
  • carrying out the transportation of money and valuables
  • protection of persons
  • monitoring of industrial and military facilities, as well as of nuclear power plants and other energy supply facilities are classed as security work.

Note: Special regulations apply to employees of a security company who are responsible for monitoring work (monitoring personnel, security officers); they do not require a permit, however they must fulfil certain personal requirements. As a security company, you must report these persons to the competent body prior to them commencing work.

Responsible department

the municipal administration or city council (Gemeinde-/Stadtverwaltung) of your future premises



  • You possess the necessary reliability for the security industry.
  • Your financial circumstances are sound.
  • You provide proof of your
    • personal expertise by means of a specialist examination set by the Chamber of Industry and Commerce or equivalent qualifications
    • and proof of the mandatory liability insurance.


The application for the licence for security services has to be submitted to the responsible authority.

Required documents

  • completed application form
  • copy of the identity card or comparable identity documents
  • for proof of the corporate legal form
    • If the location of your company is in Germany, you will need:
      • for registered companies: an excerpt of the Commercial Register (Handelsregisterauszug) and if applicable a copy of the shareholders agreement (e.g. for a company constituted under civil law, (GbR)).
    • If your company is located abroad, you will need documents from the country where it is located which prove its legal form.
  • for proof of personal reliability
    • If your place of residence is in Germany, you will normally need:
    • If your place of residence is abroad, you will need documents from your native country, which prove that you have the personal reliability to provide the requested service.
  • Proof of personal expertise by means of submission of a certificate of the Chamber of Industry and Commerce concerning the successful sitting of a specialist examination or by submission of equivalent proof.
  • Documents testifying that your financial circumstances are sound
  • Proof that the necessary liability insurance has been taken out.

In order to check the necessary requirements (in particular concerning your personal reliability), the competent body can request additional documents and statements from other authorities (for example police, state criminal prosecution authority, protection of the constitution authority).

From 1.1.2019, your personal reliability will be checked again at regular intervals, at the latest every five years.

In the case of legal entities (GmbH, corporate companies, AG, registered cooperatives) the application form only has to be completed by the legal entity itself. All personal documents have to be submitted for all natural persons authorised to manage the company (e.g. certificate of good conduct, personal documents). In addition, an excerpt from the Central Trade Register has to be applied for in the case of legal entities.

In the case of partnerships, which as such are not capable of holding a licence (GbR, KG, OHG, PartG, GmbH & Co. KG), each of the managing partners requires the licence. I.e. an application form and all personal documents are required for each person.

Tip: If necessary, more information on this subject can be obtained from the responsible trade authorities of also from the relevant Chamber of Commerce and Industry.


The amount charged is based on the local regulations governing the fees.

Release note

The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Wirtschaftsministerium released it on 15.03.2018. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.


Bürger- und Standesamt (Bürgeramt)
Grabenstraße 15
89522 Heidenheim an der Brenz
Fax (0 73 21) 3 23-33 32