town hall

Life situations

Trades requiring a license

Basically in the Federal Republic of Germany there is freedom of trade. There are however exceptions to this rule.

For some trades, special license requirements are necessary are necessary, such as specialist knowledge tests, courses, concessions, approval or special permits.

In particular the following business activities require a license:

  • Running restaurants and bar services
  • Running a taxi business
  • Financial service provider
  • Trading with weapons, ammunition and explosives
  • Crafts
  • Manufacturing weapons and pharmaceutical products
  • Debt collection agencies
  • Ambulance services
  • Real estate agents
  • Nursing services
  • Private hospitals
  • Security services
  • Insurance brokers

Note: This list is not complete. For these trades you have to provide evidence of your personal reliability, also often your professional skills and if necessary your financial rating or specific premises.

To the procedures and services

Release note

The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Wirtschaftsministerium released it on 25.04.2019. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.


Bürger- und Standesamt (Bürgeramt)
Grabenstraße 15
89522 Heidenheim an der Brenz
Fax (0 73 21) 3 23-33 32