town hall
Procedure descriptions

Travel - entering the country with pets

Strict requirements apply to the travel of pets such as dogs, cats and ferrets.
The aim is to avoid the introduction of rabies.
It is therefore important that you

  • thoroughly inform yourself about the existing regulations of the various countries of travel before you start your journey and
  • also think about re-entry into Germany.

Animals that do not comply with the required regulations must be

  • returned to the country of origin at the expense of the owner who imports them, or
  • be placed in official quarantine, usually in an animal shelter, for the duration of any measures ordered.

In the case of a suspected disease, even killing is permissible.

The requirements for travelling and returning with pets depend on the respective country of travel.

A distinction is made between

  • Travel within the European Union,
  • Import of animals from listed third countries and
  • Import of animals from non-listed third countries.

As a rule, you will need for your pet

  • effective rabies vaccination. Vaccination is possible for pets at the earliest at the age of 12 weeks.
  • Pet passport (with proof of rabies vaccination)
  • Identification by electronic transponder
    Until July 2011, identification by tattoo was permitted .This is still recognised for animals marked before this date.
  • Proof of the effectiveness of the rabies vaccination by determination of the vaccination titre (only for entry, also re-entry from non-listed third countries)
  • Observance of a waiting period of three months after vaccination titre determination before entry from non-listed third countries, does not apply to re-entries

Note: Further information on the requirements for importing pets into third countries (non-EU countries) must be obtained from the respective embassy in good time before travelling. For example, some countries require additional treatment against certain parasites.

Responsible department

the lower animal health authority (veterinary office) responsible for your place of residence

You can find the veterinary office

  • if you live in a city district: at the city administration office
  • if you live in a rural district: at the district administration office

In addition, many small animal practices offer their assistance.

Note: no import permits for puppies under 15 weeks, as younger pets may not have effective rabies vaccination protection.



  • When travelling, the animals concerned must be accompanied by their owners or an authorised person.
  • The animals must not be intended for sale or for a transfer of ownership.
  • Maximum of 5 pets per person.
  • Minimum age of dogs and cats travelling within the EU and from listed third countries is 15 weeks.
    For entry from non-listed third countries, the following times are added for
    • the rabies vaccination titer determination and
    • the waiting period.
  • Entry for air travel via
    • Border control posts or
    • listed entry checkpoints (in Baden-Württemberg only Stuttgart Airport as a listed entry checkpoint).


When travelling by air, you can only enter Baden-Württemberg by plane with your pet via the entry control point at Stuttgart Airport.



Required documents

  • EU pet passport or analogous document proving rabies vaccination
  • if applicable, official veterinary certificate and proof of rabies vaccination titre determination




You can find out how to apply for apet passport in the service description"Pet Passport".

Release note

13.09.2023 Ministerium für Ernährung, Ländlichen Raum und Verbraucherschutz Baden-Württemberg


Bürger- und Standesamt (Bürgeramt)
Grabenstraße 15
89522 Heidenheim an der Brenz
Fax (0 73 21) 3 23-33 32