town hall
Procedure descriptions

Show construction of a game enclosure

You must report the construction and location of the game enclosure if you want to keep it as livestock:

  • Fallow deer
  • Red deer
  • Sika game
  • Mouflon game

Note: There are separate regulations for enclosures in the forest

Responsible department

the lower administrative authorities

The lower administrative authority is

  • if you live in a city district: the city administration
  • if you live in a rural district: the Landratsamt (district administration office)



They must demonstrate the necessary professional knowledge and skills.

The enclosure must:

  • provide sufficient space for at least five adult animals
  • be at least one hectare in size
    • Size for red deer enclosures: at least two hectares
    • Size of mixed enclosures: at least three hectares
  • be surrounded by a fence
    • for fallow deer: at least 1.80 metres high
    • for red deer: at least two metres high
  • have a barrier enclosure so that you can separate individual animals from the herd for short periods of time
  • offer the possibility for calves to hide during their first weeks of life ("calf hiding places")

In addition, an enclosure must be equipped with:

  • a visual and weather protection
  • sufficient feeding and watering facilities for all animals
  • a trapping facility
  • a wallow for red deer
  • a floor covering for species-appropriate claw wear

Note: Under optimal conditions, you can keep up to ten adult animals with offspring on one hectare.
In the case of red deer, you can keep up to five adult animals with offspring.

A nature conservation notification is only necessary if the size of the game enclosure exceeds 50 m².


You must notify the competent authorities that you keep game as livestock.

Note: You must send the notification to both the Lower Nature Conservation Authority and the Lower Veterinary Authority.


You must notify us at least four weeks before the start of construction that you wish to keep game as livestock.

Required documents

The notification must contain the following information:

  • Type of animals
  • Number of animals
  • Sex of the animals
  • person responsible for keeping the animals
  • Competence of the person responsible
  • Enclosure size
  • Enclosure design


Bürger- und Standesamt (Bürgeramt)
Grabenstraße 15
89522 Heidenheim an der Brenz
Fax (0 73 21) 3 23-33 32