town hall
Procedure descriptions

Residency permit for employees from third countries - applying for an ICT card

The ICT card is a residency title. It supplements the existing residency title. This applies to internal company transfers within the EU. In concrete terms, this relates to temporary secondments of personnel of companies which maintain their place of business outside of the EU to a branch of the company or same corporate group within the European Union.

The ICT card is primarily intended to increase mobility within Europe. Its aim is to make it easier for employees to also be able to work temporarily in branches of their company in the EU. In return, it should be easier for companies which maintain branches in EU Member States to transfer their employees.

You can also obtain an ICT card as a trainee. This can be issued within the framework of an internal company transfer during a trainee programme. A trainee is defined as somebody

  • with a university degree and who
  • is participating in a trainee programme, the purpose of which is professional development or further training in relation to business techniques and methods
  • and which is paid.

Responsible department

  • for issuing a national visa before entering German territory: the German diplomatic mission abroad (embassy, consulate)
  • For the issuing of the residency permit after arrival: the foreigners’ office
    • The Foreigner's Authority is:
      • the city administration if you live in a city district or major city district
      • the rural district office if you live in a rural district.



You can obtain the ICT card if you

  • are working for the host company as a manager or specialist and
  • have been employed with the company for at least six months prior to the internal company transfer and will be employed by the company for the duration of the transfer without any interruptions. The transfer should be for a minimum of 90 days and last for a maximum of three years. In case of trainees, the maximum period of validity is one year.

Above all, the following requirements must be fulfilled for the transfer of an employee within his or her company or corporate group:

  • Proof of qualification as a manager, specialist or trainee.
  • Employed with the company for at least 6 months.
  • Agreement of the Federal Employment Agency.
  • Employment contract with the relevant company branch and/or transfer letter or supplementary secondment agreement with the company.
  • Place of residence and living of the applicant in a third country.
  • The employment contract must be comparable with those of the host company.


You must apply to the foreigners’ authority for the ICT card.

You must submit your application in writing.


Prior to the expiry of your visa.

Required documents

The documents and information must generally be submitted in German.


  • First issuing of an ICT card: EUR 100.00
  • Extension by up to three months: EUR 96.00
  • Extension by more than three months: EUR 93.00

Processing time

It generally takes four to six weeks for the ICT card to be issued. The issuing of a visa can take several weeks.

Release note

The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Innenministerium released it on 04.08.2020. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts. In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.


Bürger- und Standesamt (Bürgeramt)
Grabenstraße 15
89522 Heidenheim an der Brenz
Fax (0 73 21) 3 23-33 32