town hall
Procedure descriptions

Entry in the register of craftsmen - applying for entitlement to practise in accordance with § 7b HWO

Do you wish to practise a certain craft which requires a permit without a corresponding master title? Then under certain conditions, you can apply for a practising permit in accordance with §7b of the German Crafts Ordinance (HwO).

With the issuing of a practising permit, you fulfil the entry requirements for the register of craftsmen for a craft which requires a permit.

Please note: With a practising permit, you are not permitted to use a master title and cannot train in the craft concerned.

The following crafts which require a permit are excluded from these rules:

  • Chimney sweeping
  • Optician
  • Audiologist
  • Orthopaedic technician
  • Orthopaedic shoe maker and
  • Dental technician

Responsible department

The Chamber of Crafts and Trades (Handwerkskammer) in whose district your future premises or your place of residence are located



The requirements are as follows:

  • Proof of expert knowledge
    A practising permit in accordance with §7b HwO requires:
    • Conclusion of a relevant apprenticeship (final examination) in the craft applied for or a craft related to this.
      • Recognition of a foreign qualification is also possible if this has been deemed to be equivalent to a corresponding German qualification by the competent body.
    • In addition, at least six years of work as an assistant, including at least four years in a management role in the craft applied for.
      The practised activity must have been comprised of at least a significant amount of the corresponding craft which is being applied for.
      A managerial function can be assumed if decision making responsibilities have been assigned to you in a business or in a significant part of a company.
    • Commercial and general legal expert knowledge
      These can be provided by means of an informal expertise test, should no proof be at hand.


You must submit the application for issuing of a practising permit to the competent chamber of crafts. The chamber of crafts in whose area your future place of business is located is responsible. The application must be submitted together with all documents. As a rule, you can also send the application by e-mail. 

The Chambers of Crafts and Trades (Handwerkskammern) provide a form for this purpose that you can download from the website of your competent Chamber.
After your documents have been examined, you will receive either a notice that you have been granted an exemption or a notice of rejection.

On request, the chamber of crafts will listen to the competent specialist organisation.



Required documents

  • Completed application form
  • Proof concerning the expert knowledge or qualification in the craft applied for (apprenticeship, further training and work references) if available
  • Proof of professional experience (duration of professional training) as well as managerial experience (qualified work reference, job description).


Various costs can be incurred. Please make enquiries at the competent chamber of crafts.


Note: Once you have received the practising permit, the entry in the register of craftsmen (Eintragung in die Handwerksrolle) can take place, or you can take up employment as a technical operations manager in another company.

Detailed information

Tip: The crafts which require authorisation are listed in (Anlage A zur Handwerksordnung).

Release note

The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Baden-Württembergische Handwerkstag e. V. für die Arbeitsgemeinschaft der Handwerkskammern released it on 02.08.2019. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.


Bürger- und Standesamt (Bürgeramt)
Grabenstraße 15
89522 Heidenheim an der Brenz
Fax (0 73 21) 3 23-33 32