town hall
Procedure descriptions

Registration in the Register of Skilled Crafts - applying for authorisation to practise in accordance with § 7b HWO

Would you like to practise a specific trade that requires authorisation without the corresponding master craftsman's title? Then, under certain conditions, you can obtain a licence to practise in accordance with § 7b of the Crafts Code (HwO).

This means that you meet the entry requirements for a craft subject to registration in the Register of Crafts.

Please note: With an authorisation to practise, you may not use the title of master craftsman and you may not train in the craft in question.

The following crafts subject to licensing are exempt from these regulations: The

  • Chimney sweeping,
  • The optician trade,
  • Hearing aid acousticians,
  • Orthopaedic technicians,
  • Orthopaedic shoemakers, and
  • Dental technician trade.

Responsible department

the Chamber of Skilled Crafts in whose district your future place of business is located



  • Proof of expertise
    A licence to practise according to § 7b HwO requires:
    • Completion of relevant training (journeyman's examination) in the craft applied for or in a craft related to this craft.
      • Recognition of a foreign qualification is also possible if it has been recognised by the competent body as equivalent to a corresponding German qualification.
    • In addition, at least six years of journeyman's activity including at least four years of activity in a managerial position in the craft applied for.
      The activity exercised must have comprised at least one essential activity of the corresponding craft requiring authorisation.
      A managerial position shall be assumed if autonomous decision-making powers have been transferred in a company or in an essential part of a company.
    • commercial and general legal expertise
      This can be provided by means of an informal expertise examination if no evidence is available.


You must apply for the exemption permit in writing to the responsible Chamber of Skilled Crafts. As a rule, you can also submit the application by e-mail. The Chambers of Skilled Crafts provide a form for this purpose, which you can download from the website of the relevant Chamber of Skilled Crafts.
After your documents have been checked, you will receive either a notification of entitlement or a notification of refusal.

If you wish, the Chamber of Skilled Crafts will hear the competent trade organisation.



Required documents

  • completed application form
  • Proof of expertise or qualification in the craft applied for (training, further training and work certificates, references), if available
  • Proof of professional experience (duration of professional practice) as well as managerial activity (qualified employer's reference, job description)


Costs may vary. Please enquire at the responsible Chamber of Crafts.


Note: After you have obtained the authorisation to practise, you can be entered in the register of skilled crafts or you can work as a technical manager in another company.

Detailed information

Tip: The crafts which require authorisation are listed in (Anlage A zur Handwerksordnung).

Release note

21.09.2023 Baden-Württembergische Handwerkstag e. V.


Bürger- und Standesamt (Bürgeramt)
Grabenstraße 15
89522 Heidenheim an der Brenz
Fax (0 73 21) 3 23-33 32