town hall
Procedure descriptions

Lawyer; Recognise foreign professional qualification

If you have completed training abroad that allows you to work as a european lawyer, you can have this qualification recognised. With this recognition, you may work as a lawyer in Germany.

If your training differs significantly from the requirements, you must first take an aptitude test.

Responsible department

Contact the Joint Law Examination Office in your country.



You have completed a course of training giving direct access to the profession of European lawyer.


Make an application to the Judicial Examination Office. The Judicial Examination Office checks whether you have acquired all the knowledge and skills required to work as a lawyer in Germany during your training. In this case, your degree will be recognised. If there are differences, you will have to take an aptitude test. The aptitude test consists of a written and an oral part. The written part of the examination consists of two papers. The oral examination consists of a short lecture and a discussion. The Examinations Office issues a confirmation of successful completion of the qualifying examination. A failed aptitude test may be repeated twice.


The deadlines published in the Joint Legal Examination Offices are different.

Required documents

  • application
  • a curriculum vitae in tabular form
  • proof of entitlement to direct access to the profession of European lawyer
  • proof that more than half of the minimum period of training was carried out in Member States of the European Union or in other Contracting States to the Agreement on the European Economic Area or in Switzerland, or a certificate confirming at least three years of professional experience in one of these states
  • a statement as to whether an application has already been submitted or an aptitude test taken, and if so, to which examination offices

You can find out which documents are also required from the Joint Law Examination Office.


The fees depend on your personal case.

Release note

17.01.2024 Ministry of Justice Baden-Württemberg


Bürger- und Standesamt (Bürgeramt)
Grabenstraße 15
89522 Heidenheim an der Brenz
Fax (0 73 21) 3 23-33 32