Applying for recognition and assessment of a foreign teaching diploma
If you would like to work as a teacher in Baden-Württemberg, you must first have your qualifications obtained abroad recognised.
In the recognition procedure, your individual qualifications will be compared with a teacher training programme in Baden-Württemberg.
The Regional Council of Tübingen
You have completed a teacher training programme that allows you to work in the public school system in your country of origin.
If you do not have a fully completed teacher training programme under the law of your country of origin, you may be able to start a teacher training programme in Baden-Württemberg and possibly have the coursework and examinations you have already completed accredited. You will then have to complete an 18-month practical phase. This ends with an examination. You can then apply to public schools.
Please note: You need sufficient knowledge of German. Language level C2 is required. C1 is also possible in combination with successful participation in a language colloquium. This is a prerequisite for employment as a teacher. The Regierungspräsidium therefore recommends that you complete a language course at an early stage and submit a corresponding document with the application for recognition or at a later date.
- Submit the application for recognition in writing or online.
- Use the form provided.
- Attach all the necessary documents.
You can initially have your foreign teaching qualifications assessed free of charge. You do not need to submit a separate application for this, but will receive initial information on request.
The regional council can make the following decisions:
- It recognises your teaching degree.
- It will only recognise your teaching degree with conditions:
- If you have only studied one subject, you must catch up on a second subject at a university or prove your knowledge of the scientific and didactic content of a second subject in an examination.
- If your practical school training was different to that in Baden-Württemberg or if you have less than three years of professional experience, an examination or a course of up to 12 months is required. You decide whether you do one or the other.
The aptitude test and the adaptation period take place at the teacher training and further training centres responsible for the individual school types.
As soon as you submit proof that you have fulfilled the requirements, the regional council will recognise your teaching qualification as complete.
As a result, you will receive a written notification.
If you decide to attend an adaptation course to compensate for significant differences in your practical school education, you must inform the recognition office at the Tübingen Regional Council by 1 August at the latest.
The adaptation period begins
- for grammar school and vocational school teachers after the Christmas holidays and
- for primary school, lower secondary school and special education teaching qualifications in February
- General higher education entrance qualification
- Teaching diploma, certificate, teaching licence with list of grades
- Study index, "Diploma Supplement", "Transcript of Records"
- Certificate of the duration and nature of previous professional activities as a teacher after completing teacher training
- Birth certificate
- if available
- Marriage certificate, divorce certificate
- Residence permit
Please enclose the documents as officially certified copies of the originals. If the documents are not in German, as officially certified translations. Do not enclose any original documents with your application!
The translations must be prepared by a publicly appointed or sworn interpreter or translator. Submission of the originals may be requested.
Official translations of documents (e.g. certificates, diplomas, identity cards, etc.) are carried out in the Federal Republic of Germany by publicly appointed and sworn translators. The addresses of these persons can be obtained on request from the local court. The note on the accuracy of the translation must contain the name, address and reference to the public appointment.
It must always refer to the original document. Incomplete translations cannot be recognised by the competent authority.
The certification is an official attestation that a copy corresponds to the original.
- Assessment in the form of an interim decision: free of charge
- Recognition with conditions: EUR 200.00.
- Recognition without conditions: EUR 250.00.
three months at most
15.11.2023 Kultusministerium Baden Württemberg