Apply for recognition and assessment of a foreign teaching diploma
If you want to work as a teacher in Baden-Württemberg, you must have your qualifications acquired abroad recognised beforehand.
In the recognition procedure, your individual qualifications are compared with a teacher training programme in Baden-Württemberg.
The Regional Council of Tübingen
You have completed a teacher training programme that allows you to work in the public school service in your country of origin.
If you do not have a fully completed teacher training programme under the law of your country of origin, you may be able to take up a teacher training programme in Baden-Württemberg and possibly have your completed studies and examinations credited. You will then have to complete an 18-month practical phase. This ends with an examination. After that, you can apply to public schools.
Please note: You need sufficient knowledge of German. Language level C2 is required. It is also possible to achieve C1 in combination with successful participation in a language colloquium. This is a prerequisite for employment as a teacher. The Regional Council therefore recommends completing a language course early and submitting a corresponding document with the application for recognition or subsequently.
- Submit the application for recognition in writing or online.
- Use the form provided.
- Attach all the necessary documents.
You can initially have your foreign teaching qualifications assessed free of charge. You do not have to submit a separate application for this, but will receive initial information on request.
The Regional Council can make the following decisions:
- It recognises your teaching qualification.
- It recognises your teaching qualification only with conditions:
- If you have only studied one subject, you must complete a second subject at a university or prove your knowledge of the scientific and didactic content of a second subject in an examination.
- If your practical school training has been different from that in Baden-Württemberg or if you have less than three years of professional experience, an examination or a course of up to 12 months is required. You decide whether you do one or the other.
The aptitude test and the adaptation course take place at the teacher training and in-service training seminars responsible for the individual school types.
As soon as you submit the evidence of the fulfilled requirements, the Regierungspräsidium recognises your teaching qualification as complete.
As a result, you will receive a written notification.
If you decide to take an adaptation course to compensate for significant differences in the practical school training, you must inform the recognition office at the Regierungspräsidium Tübingen by 1 August at the latest.
The adaptation course begins
- after the Christmas holidays for the teaching professions Gymnasium and vocational schools, and
- for the teaching professions primary school, lower secondary school and special needs education in February
- General university entrance qualification
- Teaching diploma, certificate, teaching permit with list of grades
- Study index, "Diploma Supplement", "Transcript of Records
- Certificate of the duration and nature of previous professional activities as a teacher after completing teacher training
- Birth certificate
- if available
- Marriage certificate, divorce certificate
- Residence permit
Please enclose the documents as officially certified copies of the originals. If the documents are not in German, as officially certified translations. Do not enclose any original documents with your application!
The translations must be prepared by a publicly appointed or sworn interpreter or translator. The presentation of the originals may be requested.
Official translations of documents (e.g. certificates, diplomas, identity cards, etc.) are carried out in the Federal Republic of Germany by publicly appointed and sworn translators. The addresses of these persons are available on request from the local court. The note on the accuracy of the translation must contain the name, address and reference to the public appointment.
It must always refer to the original document. Incomplete translations cannot be recognised by the competent authority.
The certification is an official attestation that a copy corresponds to the original.
- Evaluation in the form of an interim notice: free of charge
- Recognition with conditions: EUR 200.00.
- Recognition without conditions: EUR 250.00.
three months at the most
23.11.2022 Kultusministerium Baden Württemberg