Museums

Roman Baths Museum

Permanent Exhibition

Das Museum im Römerbad präsentiert im Untergeschoss eines Parkhauses, annähernd drei Meter unter dem heutigen Straßenniveau, eindrucksvolle Reste der bedeutenden römischen Siedlung von Heidenheim, dem antiken Aquileia.
Kernstück des im Herbst 1984 eröffneten Museums bilden die Ruinen eines monumentalen römischen Bauwerks, bei dem es sich ursprünglich um den Sitz eines hohen Verwaltungsfunktionärs, möglicherweise sogar um die Nebenresidenz des Provinzstatthalters in Augsburg selbst gehandelt haben könnte. Durch die Fenster der Eingangsrotunde sind zudem - auch bei geschlossenem Museum - die Reste eines kleineren Badegebäudes zu sehen. Eine Tonbildschau führt in die Dauerausstellung ein. Laufstege ermöglichen dann einen unmittelbaren Zugang zu den Mauerresten. Diese eindrucksvolle Begegnung mit der Antike wird ergänzt durch die Präsentation zahlreicher archäologischer Funde aus dem Heidenheimer Raum. So kann sich der Besucher mitten im heutigen Stadtgebiet hinab in die Zeit vor rund 1900 Jahren begeben und Interessantes über Geschichte und Alltagskultur  in einer Grenzprovinz des römischen Weltreiches am Beispiel der römischen Siedlung von Heidenheim-Aquileia erfahren. Die Dauerausstellung wird zur Zeit schrittweise neu gestaltet.

Family afternoons

finden sonntags, jeweils von 14:30 - 17:00 Uhr statt. Eine Anmeldung ist erforderlich. Termine siehe Veranstaltungskalender.

Opening hours

Roman Baths Museum  
open from 1st of May to 31st of October
Sunday 1 am - 5 pm

Admission
free of charge

Contact us
Museum im Römerbad
Theodor-Heuss-Straße 3
89518 Heidenheim

Hellenstein Castle Museum

Hellenstein Castle Museum shows selected items of the historical collection of the City of Heidenheim in various rooms of the "Unteres Schloss", built around 1600.
Due to extensive restoration measures, you can only visit the ground floor of the former administration building Obervogtei and the former castle church, whose architecture alone make a visit to the museum worthwhile.

The former Zeughaus armoury, where all the arms of the former fort Hellenstein Castle were stored, is found at the entrance of the museum. The display cases there offer a chronological overview about the history of the City of Heidenheim. Lectures are held in this room, too (see our annual programme), which are organised in cooperation with the History and Ancient Times Organisation Heidenheim.

To the east of the former Zeughaus armoury, you will find the former private stalls of the Duke. Its groined vault is supported by four Tuscan pillars. Special exhibitions about the history of the City are nowadays shown there, e. g. like the 2015 Exhibition of Finds of the Middle Old Ages (about 80,000 - 50,000 years ago), collected at the so-called "Heidenschmiede", a rock overhang (Abri) at the south-eastern wall of Castle Hill. The site is of particular archeologist importance because hand axes of the Neanderthals were excavated here as early as 1930, making them the first finds of this prehistoric equipment in Wuerttemberg.

To the west of the former Zeughaus armoury, you will find the former castle church with its Gothic facade. The former Lutheran, aisleless church is characterized by its circular gallery, supported by several Tuscan pillars and decorated with high stucco and an ornamental stone relief balustrade.
The two-storeyed choir at the north of the nave has a blind vault of filigree stucco ribbed netting. The castle church is a really adequate location for the display of "Christian Art in a Church Room". Late Gothic and Baroque sculptures and paintings of the Thea Voith Collection from lower Austria and Southern Germany are exhibited at the ground floor. The stone-cast Pietà of about 1410 is one of the work of arts of exceptional high quality there. Several times per season, the castle church is used for concerts, vocal and instrumental, of the "Museumsmusik" (see our annual programme) due to its excellent acoustics.

A spiral staircase situated at the choir leads visitors to the former music gallery of the castle church. One is reminded of the German speaking isolated district of Iglau, now Jihlava in the Czech Republic, there. Exiled inhabitants of the district of Iglau installed a small exhibition in this room. Since 1957 Heidenheim is the twin town for the Iglau Community in the Czech Republic, since 2002. Jihlava and Heidenheim are twin towns, too.

Opening hours

Museum Schloss Hellenstein  
Geöffnet von 1. April - 31. Oktober
Dienstag bis Samstag 11:00 - 16:00 Uhr
Sonn- und Feiertage 11.00 - 17.00 Uhr

Admission fees

  • adults: 1,50 €
  • adults in groups from 10 people: 1,00 €
  • children and youths  (6-17 years old): 0,50 €
  • members of the History and Ancient Times Organisation Heidenheim: free of charge
  • members of the Natural History Organisation Heidenheim: free of charge

Contact us
Museum Schloss Hellenstein
Schloss Hellenstein
89522 Heidenheim

Museum of Coaches, Carriages and Carts Heidenheim

Branch museum of the State of Wuerttemberg's Museum

Auf dem Schlossberg, im ehemaligen Fruchtkasten des Schlosses, befindet sich heute das "Museum für Kutschen Chaisen Karren", das die Geschichte des Landverkehrs bis zur Erfindung des Automobils dokumentiert. Im Jahre 1989 wurde das Museum für Konzeption und Gestaltung vom "Europäischen Museums Forum" ausgezeichnet.

Opening hours

Museum für Kutschen Chaisen Karren  
Geöffnet von 1. April - 31. Oktober
Dienstag bis Samstag 11:00 - 16:00 Uhr
Sonn- und Feiertage 11.00 - 17.00 Uhr

Admission fees

  • adults: 1,50 €
  • adults in groups from 10 people: 1,00 €
  • children and youths (6-17 years old): 0,50 €

Contact us
Kutschen Chaisen Karren
Schloss Hellenstein
89522 Heidenheim

You can call us during our opening hours 07321 - 275 896.