Blocking period - apply for reduction or cancellation
A general closing time is set for restaurants and public entertainment venues. During this time, the restaurants must cease their operations.
Start of the closing time:
- during the week: 3 a.m
- during the week in health resorts and recreational areas: 2 a.m
- at weekends on Saturday and Sunday nights: 5 a.m
- for amusement arcades: 24 hrs
General end of the curfew is 6 a.m.
Notice: On the night of 1 January, the curfew is lifted. On Shrove Tuesday night and 1 May it starts at 5 am. This does not apply to gambling halls.
Under certain conditions, the authorities may extend the curfew in individual cases for the benefit of individual establishments
- limit it,
- revocably shorten or
Note: The authority may impose conditions at any time when shortening or lifting the closing time.
Under certain conditions, the authorities may also generally extend, shorten or abolish the curfew by ordinance. Such ordinances shall be issued by the municipalities, the district officesthe regional councils or the Ministry of the Interior.
- for reductions of curfew times in individual cases: the municipality in whose district the business premises for which a reduction of curfew times is requested is located
- for a general reduction of the curfew: the municipalities and districts, large district towns as well as the municipalities and administrative communities with their own responsibility for building law. Enter the location of your business premises in the location selection.
Prerequisites for a reduction of the curfew are:
- Existence of a public need
- Existence of special local conditions
You can informally apply for a reduction of the closing time for your business to the municipality in whose district the business premises are located. Indicate,
- in what form and
- reasons why you want to shorten the closing time.
Depending on what the municipality offers, an application form is available or you can download it from the internet.
There is no legal deadline. Apply for the reduction of the blocking period as early as possible.
Find out from the responsible office what costs you should expect.
- § 1 Gaststättenverordnung (GastVO) (Sachliche Zuständigkeit)
- § 9 Gaststättenverordnung (GastVO) (Allgemeine Sperrzeit)
- § 11 Gaststättenverordnung (GastVO) (Allgemeine Ausnahmen)
- § 12 Gaststättenverordnung (GastVO) (Ausnahmen für einzelne Betriebe)
- § 18 Gaststättengesetz (GaststättenG) (Sperrzeitverkürzung)
The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Ministry of the Interior Baden-Wuerttemberg released it on 16.08.2023. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.