town hall
Procedure descriptions

Setting up a prohibition of stopping zone

For the duration of your moving house, you can set up a prohibition of stopping zone (officially: prohibition of stopping zone). This allows you to comfortably load and unload in front of your old and new property.

You cannot reserve parking spaces on public roads arbitrarily (for example by setting up waste bins) without prior permission.

Other road users do not have to comply with unauthorised reservations.

Note: Should an absolute prohibition of stopping apply to the area of the planned loading and unloading zone, you need to apply for an exception permit in order to be able to park there. However, in areas with limited prohibition of stopping, you may load and unload, provided this does not cause any delays.

Responsible department

the road traffic authority of the town in which the no standing signs are to be set up

The road traffic authorities are

  • the city council or the regional council office (Landratsamt), depending on your place of residence



You move.


The setting up of a prohibition of stopping zone can be applied for personally or informally in writing at the competent body.

The application must contain the following details:

  • First name and family name
  • New and old addresses
  • Telephone and fax number
  • Purpose of the prohibition of stopping zone (moving house)
  • Date on which the prohibition of stopping zone is to be set up
  • Period of time for which it is to apply
  • Area in which the prohibition of stopping zone is to be set up
    Please give as exact details as possible (for example road and house number) and attach a sketch if applicable.
  • Length of the prohibition of stopping zone (this is usually in accordance with the length of the removal van)

Tip: If you need to set up a prohibition of stopping zone at short notice, please make the application in person.

The competent body will issue you with an order following the application. This contains details concerning how you must identify the area concerned. You may not erect the traffic signs concerned until you have received the order.

Note: Removal companies are usually responsible for the purchase, setting up and removal of the prohibition of stopping signs.


You must erect the prohibition of stopping signs approximately four days before the day of removal.

Required documents



Depends on the city or municipality

Note: The exact amount is in accordance with the valid fees ordinance. Please contact your municipality or your rural district office for more information.


Should vehicles be stationed in the prohibition of stopping zone on the day of moving despite displayed signs and should this hinder the work being carried out, you can have the vehicle towed away. The vehicle owner must pay for the costs of towing away.

Release note

The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Verkehrsministerium released it on 22.03.2021. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.


Bürger- und Standesamt (Bürgeramt)
Grabenstraße 15
89522 Heidenheim an der Brenz
Fax (0 73 21) 3 23-33 32