town hall
Procedure descriptions

Notification of a seasonal wine tavern ("Straußwirtschaft")

You would like to serve homemade wine or cider within the framework of a "Straußwirtschaft" – a wine tavern attached to the winery ? Then you do not need a restaurant license provided certain conditions are fulfilled.

Note: In some parts of Baden-Württemberg it is also called Besenwirtschaft.

Responsible department

the municipal administration or city council (Gemeinde- oder Stadtverwaltung) in whose district the wine tavern attached to the winery is



  • The location where the drinks are served must be near to the winery operation and may not be connected to another place where drinks and food are served and only up to 40 seats are permitted.
  • At least one non-alcoholic beverage (not tap water) must be sold alongside wine or cider. The food sold may only be cold food or hot food that is easy to prepare. This means dishes which do not require any particular skills to prepare them and in addition require little time and effort.
  • All persons that are employed in the wine tavern attached to the winery business and come into contact with food and drinks or consumer goods may only do this job if they have been instructed by the regional council office (Landratsamt) or the city council of the urban district (Stadtkreis) (formerly: Local Health Authority) or a doctor authorised by the regional council office or the city council of the urban district (§ 43 Protection against Infection Act – IFSG).

Note: Even if running a seasonal wine tavern (Straußwirtschaft) does not require a license, you still have to comply with the other requirements (e.g. provisions on hygiene and regulations on closing time).


To run a seasonal wine tavern, you have to notify the responsible authority in writing. It has to be signed by hand or have a qualified electronic signature.


The amount charged is based on the local regulations governing the fees.

Release note

The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Wirtschaftsministerium released it on 21.10.2016. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.


Bürger- und Standesamt (Bürgeramt)
Grabenstraße 15
89522 Heidenheim an der Brenz
Fax (0 73 21) 3 23-33 32