town hall
Procedure descriptions

Apply for international financial aid for students


  • The same amount as for domestic study grants
  • 130 euros for each child
  • Supplements are available for:
    • Tuition fees: up to 4,600 euros for a maximum of one year
    • Travel expenses:
      • for students within Europe: for one outward and one return journey, per journey 250 euros
      • for students outside Europe: one return journey, per trip 500 euros
    • possible additional costs for health insurance
    • higher living costs for students outside the EU and Switzerland: from 30.00 euros per month, depending on the country

Type of funding

  • Supplement for tuition fees: 100% grant
  • Funding granted in addition and other supplements: 50% grant, 50% non-interest-bearing state loan.
  • Childcare allowance: 100% subsidy

Grants do not have to be repaid.


For studies at a foreign higher education institution

  • within the EU: until graduation
  • outside the EU or Switzerland: up to one year, in exceptional cases longer in the case of university education

Responsible department

Depending on your destination country, certain offices for educational funding

You can also enquire at the International Office of your university.



For study abroad:

  • The requirements for sponsorship of domestic studies are fulfilled
  • permanent residence in Germany
  • Equivalence of the foreign educational institution with a higher education institution located in Germany
  • the training abroad is a full-time course of study
  • the course lasts at least six months or one semester. If the training takes place within the framework of a cooperation agreed with the training institution visited, it must last at least twelve weeks. This 12-week period may not be made up of individual stays abroad.

For an internship abroad:

  • The internship abroad is connected with attendance at a higher vocational school, academy or university located in Germany.
  • The internship is required for the completion of the training and is regulated in the training regulations.
  • The prescribed duration is at least twelve weeks.
  • The internship abroad is conducive to the level of training.
  • The training institution or the competent examination body recognises that the traineeship meets the requirements of the examination regulations.


You can apply for the education grant in writing or online.

For the written application, use the application wizard to get a selection of the forms you need. You can hand in the completed forms in person or send them by post. From 1.8.2021, please use the online application.

To submit your online application securely, you will need either the eID function on your identity card or a De-Mail account. The plausibility checks built into the online procedure and information on supporting documents to be enclosed will help you to submit the application as completely as possible

An informal application is sufficient to meet the deadline.

You will receive a written notification in the form of a decision. In the case of a positive decision, the competent office will transfer the payments to you monthly in advance to the account indicated.

You are not entitled to domestic funding during your training abroad. You must therefore inform the office responsible for your education grant that you are taking up education abroad.


Submit the application as early as possible, at the latest six months before the start of the stay abroad.

The funding begins

  • when you start your training or internship abroad or
  • from the month in which you submit the application.

Required documents

  • Documents as for the application for domestic funding
  • additionally form 6
  • Proof of:
    • Enrolment
    • Place of study at the university abroad
    • Travel expenses
    • Health insurance
    • Tuition fees

The relevant office will inform you about further documents required.




Free BAföG hotline 0800/223-6341 Monday to Friday from 8:00 to 20:00

Detailed information

Information on how to apply online can be found on the websites of the relevant student services organisations

Release note

The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Wissenschaftsministerium released it on 22.04.2024. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.


Bürger- und Standesamt (Bürgeramt)
Grabenstraße 15
89522 Heidenheim an der Brenz
Fax (0 73 21) 3 23-33 32