town hall
Procedure descriptions

Applying for support for vocational training

Have you found a training place? However, do you need to relocate for this and leave your parents’ home? If you are undertaking vocational training in a different commune, the Federal Employment Agency can provide you with financial support for this.

The vocational training support is a measure which promotes employment.

Young persons in vocational training and persons starting their career who no longer live with their parents are entitled to this benefit under certain conditions.

You can obtain vocational training support during

  • vocational training inside or outside of a company or
  • during training which serves as a preparation for a profession.

You receive the vocational training support as a grant. You are not required to pay it back.

Responsible department

The employment agency in the area where you live or maintain your usual place of residence.



Tip: Due to the numerous requirements, it is recommended that you arrange a consultation with the employment agency.

The personal requirements are:

  • German citizenship. Foreign applicants can be supported in individual cases. Please contact the local employment agency for advice concerning your individual case.
  • Your own place of residence. The training location is too far away from your parents’ home. Note: Should you live close to your parents’ home, you can also receive vocational training support under the following conditions:
    • You are aged over 18 or
    • You are married (or were married) or
    • You have at least one child who lives with you or
    • You cannot be assigned to the place of residence of the parents for serious social reasons.
  • Your remuneration during the period of vocational training does not suffice for:
    • Costs of maintenance
    • Accommodation costs such as rent
    • Travel costs between the place of vocational training or professional school, family trips home
    • Work clothing
    • Learning aids
    • Child support costs

When evaluating need, both your own income and that of your parents and/or of your husband or wife will be taken into account. In addition, certain allowances will be deducted. The same applies to registered civil partnerships.

Prerequisites for the support of vocational training:

Your vocational training can be supported if:

  • You are being trained in a recognised training profession (at a company or outside of a company)
  • You have concluded a training contract
  • Your training contract has been entered in the training directory
  • This is your first period of vocational training Only in a small number of exceptional cases is it possible to provide vocational training support for a second period of vocational training. In contrast to an initial period of vocational training, support for a second period is at the sole discretion of the Federal Employment Agency. You can obtain further information in this respect from the careers advisors at the employment agency.

Prerequisites for the support of a pre-vocational training measure:

  • It prepares you to take up vocational training or serves the purpose of professional orientation. It may not be subject to the school laws of the German Federal States
  • Successful professional training can be expected due to:
    • the qualifications and professional experience of the management personnel, as well as the training and support personnel,
    • the design of the learning plan, the teaching methods and
    • the quality of the teaching and learning aids which are used.
  • It is planned in accordance with the principles of economic efficiency and cost saving.
  • It is carried out on behalf of the employment agency.
  • The costs are reasonable.

Note: In order to make professional orientation easier, pre-vocational training measures can also include

  • general educational subjects (the ratio of the general educational subjects may not be excessive)
  • can prepare you for the retrospective acquisition of the secondary school education qualification or
  • can take place as part of an internship.

Information concerning the training requirements and income considerations can be found in the “vocational training support” leaflet of the Federal Employment Agency.

Note: There are special regulations for persons with disabilities.


You must request the vocational training support in writing from the competent authority. The necessary form for this can be obtained from the local employment agency. The form is not available on the Internet.

The employment agency will check whether you fulfil the requirements. Should this be the case, you will be granted the vocational training support.

Tip: It is important that you submit our application to the employment agency in good time prior to starting your vocational training. So that your application can be processed as quickly as possible, you should make your application in person at the employment agency of your place of residence.

You can also submit the application once the measure has started. In such a case, the vocational training support will be granted retrospectively. However only from the start of the month in which you made the application.

The competent employment agency will take a decision concerning the application and will inform you of the outcome in writing.

You will receive the grant for 18 months in case of professional training and for 12 months in all other cases. After this time, you must re-apply for the grant. Should you already have a customer number at the employment agency, you can also submit the application by telephone.


As early as possible.

Required documents

  • Training contract
  • Rental agreement
  • Proof of parental income: Tax notice or annual income certificate from the previous year
  • If you are married: Proof of income of our husband or wife or civil partner Tax notice or annual income certificate from the previous year

The employment agency will inform you of the additional documents which are required.



Processing time

The average processing time is two weeks.


Comprehensive information about vocational training support can be found at

  • your local competent employment agency or
  • on the Internet pages of the Federal Employment Agency. Here, you can also find the vocational training support calculator. With the assistance of the calculator, you can check yourself
    • whether you come under the group of persons entitled to support and
    • The amount of the vocational training support to which you are entitled.

Should you have any further questions, you can contact the employment agency team by telephone from Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm via telephone number (0800) 4555500.

Release note

The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Kultusministerium released it on 25.11.2014. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts. In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.


Bürger- und Standesamt (Bürgeramt)
Grabenstraße 15
89522 Heidenheim an der Brenz
Fax (0 73 21) 3 23-33 32