town hall
Procedure descriptions

Application for residence permit for au pair (non-EU/EEA)

If you come from a country outside the EU or EEA and want to work in Germany as an au pair, you will need

  • a visa entitling you to enter Germany,
  • and subsequently a residence permit entitling you to work as an au pair.

The residence permit for au pairs covers only

  • work in the host family’s household and
  • childcare.

Care work (e.g. nursing the ill or elderly) is not permitted.

Responsible department

  • for issuing a national visa before entering German territory: the German diplomatic mission abroad (embassy, consulate)
  • after entering Germany: the authority for foreign nationals responsible for the district in which you will be residing (your host family’s residence); depending on the area, this will be the city council (Stadtverwaltung) or rural district office (Landratsamt).

Tip: The Federal Foreign Office (Auswärtiges Amt) provides a Verzeichnis der Vertretungen der Bundesrepublik Deutschland im Ausland (list of addresses of German diplomatic missions abroad) on its website.



  • You have
    • health insurance,
    • an au pair agreement and
    • a valid national visa entitling you to work as an au pair;
  • you are at least 18 years old and no older than 26
  • you have a basic knowledge of German and
  • you have registered with the municipality giving your host family’s address as your principal residence.
  • At least one adult person in your host family
    • is a German citizen, and German is spoken
    • as the native language.
      The family can come from a German-speaking country or from a part of a country in which German is the native language. If the family speaks German as a family language but not as their native language, the competent authority can only allow you to stay if you do not come from the same country as the host parents.
      A family is defined as a married couple with or without children, an unmarried couple or a single parent with a child in the same household.
  • The Federal Employment Agency must consent to your employment.


If necessary, you must apply for a national visa for au pairs in your own country before coming to Germany.

After entering Germany, you must first register with the municipality in which your principal residence is located.

Afterwards, you can request the residence permit in writing from the competent authority. This authority will obtain consent from the Federal Employment Agency if needed.

You will then receive either a residence permit or a notice of rejection.

N.B. You may only work as an au pair after you have received a residence permit for au pairs. The regulations governing foreign workers are very strict. If you violate them, your right to stay may be affected.

The residence permit is valid for no more than one year. You cannot extend it for the same purpose.


Apply for the residence permit for au pairs before your visa expires.

Required documents

  • valid passport
  • a current passport photo
  • confirmation of registration with the municipality responsible for the host family’s principal residence
  • proof of health insurance
  • au pair agreement


EUR 100.00



You require only a residence permit and not a visa if you come from any of the following countries:

  • Australia
  • Israel
  • Japan
  • Canada
  • New Zealand
  • Republic of Korea
  • United States of America

Apply for your residence permit no later than three months after entering the country.

Tip: Even if you are visa-exempt, it may be advisable in some cases to enter the country with a visa entitling you to work as an au pair. Please enquire at the German diplomatic mission in your own country.

You do not need a residence permit if you are a Swiss citizen.

Citizens of Croatia require an EU work permit from the Federal Employment Agency.

Since 2011, residence permits have been issued in the format of a bank card incorporating additional electronic functions. You will find further information at “Application for electronic residence permit (eAT)".

Release note

The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Innenministerium released the full description on 18.01.2018.
Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts. In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.


Bürger- und Standesamt (Bürgeramt)
Grabenstraße 15
89522 Heidenheim an der Brenz
Fax (0 73 21) 3 23-33 32