town hall

Life situations

Changes in the Case of foreign Students

In the case of students from the European Union (EU) and the European Economic Area (EEA), a change in the course of study or field of study basically has no consequences on their legal residence status.

All other foreign students have to take into account, when changing the field of study, that the residence permit that is valid for a specific purpose also includes the obligation to study the chosen field of study.

We therefore recommend, before an intended change in the field of study, contact the Authorities for Foreign Nationals.

If there has been a change, then it has to be informed without delay to the Authorities for Foreign Nationals, who then check whether prerequisites exist to change the residence permit and if applicable change it accordingly.

Release note

The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Innenministerium released it on 07.12.2020. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.


Bürger- und Standesamt (Bürgeramt)
Grabenstraße 15
89522 Heidenheim an der Brenz
Fax (0 73 21) 3 23-33 32